Comcast RISE to support 13,000 small businesses, owned by people of color including Black, Indigenous, Hispanic, and Asian Americans among others, by 2022.
PITTSBURGH – August 25, 2021 – Comcast today announced its third round of Comcast RISE recipients in Pittsburgh, New Castle and McKees Rocks, which includes four small businesses owned by people of color, including Black, Indigenous, Hispanic, and Asian American owners, among others. They will receive a TV campaign, production of a TV commercial or consulting services from Effectv or computer equipment, internet, voice or cybersecurity from Comcast Business, as well as access to Ureeka, an online platform for entrepreneurs with a specialized online networking community with educational resources, sources of capital, and vetted experts.
Since November 2020, 14 in western Pennsylvania and nearly 3,700 entrepreneurs nationwide have been selected as Comcast RISE awardees.
In western Pennsylvania, new recipients include:
- Big Tom’s Barbershop, Pittsburgh
- Pittsburgh Native Cuts and Styles
- Faith, Hope and Charity Community Rehab Center, New Castle
- TT’s ToyBox Daycare Center, McKees Rocks
“In 2020, our center faced very challenging difficulties in providing online schooling for many of our children,” said Natika Proctor, Owner and CEO of TT’s ToyBox Daycare Center. “We were very thankful that Comcast provided tablets, computers and increased internet speed to support a phenomenal outcome for our children to continue learning and our staff to perform additional required training.”
Comcast RISE was formed in late 2020 to give small businesses owned by people of color, from bakeries and barber shops to childcare centers and cleaning services, the tools needed to not just survive, but thrive. The company recently announced it will support 13,000 small businesses by 2022.
“When we launched Comcast RISE, we knew a profound need existed in many of the communities we serve,” said Aaron Mimran, VP for Comcast Business, Keystone Region. “We now have seen firsthand how the program’s marketing and technology resources benefit the business owners who are working hard to rise above 2020, as well as their neighbors who share their commercial corridors, and their suppliers and customers up and down their resource chains.”
Comcast RISE, which stands for “Representation, Investment, Strength and Empowerment,” is part of an expanded Diversity, Equity and Inclusion commitment that Comcast announced last summer, as well as a coordinated cross-company effort to address digital inequities through sustainable programming and investments such as Internet Essentials and Lift Zones. Eligible businesses can apply for the following:
- Marketing Services: The following services from Effectv, the advertising sales division of Comcast Cable, and its creative agency, Mnemonic, are designed to help recipients with their marketing and media campaigns, including:
- Media: A linear TV media campaign to run over a 90-day period.
- Creative Production: Turnkey 30-second TV commercial production, plus a media strategy consultation and a 90-day linear TV media campaign.
- Consulting: Advertising and marketing consultations with local Effectv marketing, research and creative teams to gain insights on how to drive business.
- Technology Makeovers: The state-of-the-art equipment and technology upgrade from Comcast Business includes computer equipment as well as internet, voice and cybersecurity services for up to a 12-month period. (Taxes and other fees may still apply for tech makeover services.)
A key part of Comcast RISE is ensuring business sustainability. As such, Comcast has already invested more than $2 million in more than 20 community-based organizations and diverse chambers of commerce to provide additional support to small businesses owned by people of color. In addition, the program has partnered with Ureeka, an online platform for entrepreneurs, to provide grant recipients with business coaching to help build skills in company foundation, growing customers and financial stability. All Comcast RISE recipients will also have a specialized online networking community within Ureeka with access to educational resources, sources of capital, and vetted experts such as U.S. Black Chambers, National Asian Pacific Islander Chamber of Commerce & Entrepreneurship, U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce, Association for Enterprise Opportunity, Walker’s Legacy and Operation Hope.
All small business owners can visit the Comcast RISE destination on Xfinity X1, which features aggregated small business news, resources, Comcast RISE recipient stories and more. The destination is designed to help businesses grow by empowering them through inspiration, education and entertainment. Just say “Comcast RISE” into the X1 voice remote.
Visit www.ComcastRISE.com to apply, for more information and the latest updates.